This is Grameenphone----
Grameenphone the leading telecommunications operator of Bangladesh is part of Telenor Group which has presence in 13 markets across Europe and Asia.
Before Grameenphone’s inception, the phone was for a selected urbanized few. The cell phone was a luxury: a flouting accessory for the select elite. The mass could not contemplate mobile telephony as being part of their lives.
Grameenphone started its journey with the Village Phone program: a pioneering initiative to empower rural women of Bangladesh. The name Grameenphone translates to “Rural phone”.
Starting its operations on March 26, 1997, the Independence Day of Bangladesh, Grameenphone was the first operator to introduce GSM Technology in this country. Grameenphone pioneered the then breakthrough initiative of mobile to mobile telephony and became the first operator to cover 99% of the country’s people with network
Since its inception Grameenphone has built the largest cellular network in the country with over 9700 base stations. Presently, nearly 99 percent of the country's population is within the coverage area of the Grameenphone network. Grameenphone has always been a pioneer in introducing new products and services in the local telecom market.
Grameenphone was also the first telecommunication operator in Bangladesh to introduce the pre-paid service in September 1999. It established the first 24-hour Call Center, introduced value-added services such as VMS, SMS, fax and data transmission services, international roaming service, WAP, SMS-based push-pull services, EDGE, personal ring back tone and many other products and services. In October 2013 the company launched 3G services commercially. The entire Grameenphone network is 3G/EDGE/GPRS enabled, allowing access to high-speed Internet and data services from anywhere within the coverage area. There are currently over 25 million Internet users in the Grameenphone network.
Today, Grameenphone is the leading and largest telecommunications service provider in Bangladesh with more than 59 million subscribers as of March 2016
Did You Know?
- Grameenphone has so far invested more than BDT 29,900 crore to build the network infrastructure
- Grameenphone is one of the largest taxpayers in the country, having contributed more than BDT 52,340 crore in direct and indirect taxes to the Government Exchequer over the years
- There are now more than 1600 GP Service Desks across the country covering nearly all upazilas of all districts and 94 Grameenphone Centers in all the divisional cities
- Grameenphone has about 4700 full and temporary employees
- 700,000 people are directly dependent on Grameenphone for their livelihood, working for the Grameenphone dealers, retailers, scratch card outlets, suppliers, vendors, contractors and others.